Margarida´s Favourite Place in Portugal

My favourite place in Portugal is Belmonte. Belmonte is situated in the north of Portugal, district of Castelo Branco in Cova da Beira. It’s a medieval village, where people are very friendly, fun and cozy. I have family and friends there.

Pedro Alvares Cabral, the discoverer of Brazil, was born in Belmonte. There’s a statue in his honour in one street. In this village there is a museum about the Discoveries as well as other museums, such as the olive oil museum, the Jews museum, Zêzere’s ecomuseum, the Church of Santiago and the Cabrais Pantheon.The main attraction is the castle built by the king D.Afonso III in the 13th century.

In summer a medieval fair is held in Belmonte. Some people dress in medieval costumes and there are many stalls with accessories of that era such as necklaces, bracelets and medieval clothing. There are also several performances in the street as horse racing and theater plays. Near the end of the fair there’s a show celebrating an important event in the village’s history.

In this lovely village there are  many shops selling medieval toys and instruments. We can taste typical local foods: great cheese and sausages.The views are very beautiful and vibrant.  Around Belmonte there are several river beaches with clear, transparent water.

2 Comments

1. Hi Margarida,
    The water looks so clear in those images. I would love to visit a mediaeval faire. What do you enjoy most about the faire?

2. Hi Miss W.
    At the fair I like the medieval musicians and the handicrafts.
    Margarida